I love pork bones!! Especially those that have been done so well, i.e. full of flavour and tender. Yes! bones can be tender too :D. This is exactly how I did them here and boy did we enjoy ourselves! The trick is to let them simmer gently in your well seasoned liquid. Goes down perfectly nesadza (with pap).
- Large Pot
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Wooden spoon
- Get your ingredients together. These include; 1 kg pork bones
3 whole cloves garlic
Enough chicken stock to nearly cover the bones
50 – 100 ml water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 medium onion
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 medium bunch collard greens
3 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat oil in pot. Add the pork bones and brown them. This will add more flavour to the final product.
- Once browned, add the chicken stock, garlic and 1 tsp salt. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer until the meat on the bones is tender and the water is finished.
- Add onions and curry powder. Fry for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and 50-100 ml water. Stir and allow to cook for 3-5 min.
- Add the leafy greens together with 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Your meal is ready! Enjoy!